+Steve Estrellado | @steveestro | Download PDF
Digital marketing consultants have become the most sought after talent. They can create droves of new business, decrease your marketing spend and better the image of your brand online. But hiring a digital marketing consultant can be a daunting process. Most business owners are not even sure of what to look for in a candidate.
These are 5 tips to think about before hiring a digital marketing consultant.
1. Rapport: It is important to build immediate rapport with the potential consultant. Within five minutes, you will know if your relationship will be prosperous. Ask yourself, did the consultant listen to your challenges? Did they offer friendly advice and share some basic best practices? Did they make you feel comfortable?
2. Vocabulary: Digital marketing is convoluted with a cadre of technical jargon. It is important to qualify your potential consultant by how well they articulate themselves.
3. Experience: Can the consultant demonstrate their aptitude in digital marketing? The consultant should specialize in inbound marketing. Inbound marketing consists of search engine optimization, landing page design, pay-per-click, social media, and content marketing.
4. Educate: Does your digital marketing consultant educate you while they are working? It is important to understand the fundamentals of their work. Is the consultant open to teaching you the basics of digital marketing?
5. References: Lastly, it is important to ask for references. Ask for at least 3 client references. If you see their case studies, they should be able to furnish the corresponding references upon your request.
In conclusion, it is important to find a trusted digital marketing partner. Once you vet your partner thoroughly, we recommend a minimum 12-month term to quantify their results. Remember, this is a big investment in one person or team. Take your time when you plan your hiring.
All original content copyright Steve Estrellado, 2013.